What does self –care actually mean? It means doing those things that keeps you physically as well as mentally fit. The airline announcement “Put your oxygen mask first before helping others” aptly describes the importance of self- care in one’s life. In keeping up with the modern day hustle bustles we often forget about our own needs. We think how we can find time for ourselves in our busy schedule. The key here is prioritisation. In between housework, office, children time we must prioritise spending some quality “me” time as well. Sometimes we don’t listen to our body pleas thinking of them as selfish or unworthy. Failing to do so can cause problems such as :
- Irritation and anger with other people
- Anxiety, stress, insomnia
- Less concentration
- Low energy levels
- Fatigue and other problems
Hence, in order to keep ourselves mentally and physically well, we should practice self-care regularly. Some of the things that can be done are mentioned below. Initially one can find them not useful or absurd but in the long run they will be turn out to be fruitful.
Writing thoughts and feelings in a journal regularly can be very therapeutic which makes one feel more free and happy. It necessarily doesn’t have to be feelings or emotions. It can be anything like one’s daily routine or an inspirational incident that took place in your life.
Take up a hobby
If you have a hobby, great! Try to pursue that every day. If you don’t have a hobby, worry not. Think of something that gives you happiness. Something you enjoy doing. Still if you are not able to figure out try different things like painting, sketching, pottery, reading etc and decide what is your calling.
Just relax and have a full skin care regime from pedicure to manicure to facial. Maybe get a spa treatment or a massage as well and pamper yourself completely.
Listen to music
Sit back, relax and listen to soothing music. It helps in easing up your tension and gives mind a much needed break from all that is happening around you.
Self- care gift
Buy yourself a gift. It’s not necessary to have a reason to buy something for yourself. Go out and do some shopping or finally buy that item that has been sitting in your online shopping cart for so long.
Being physically active not only keep your body fit, but also keeps you positive, relaxed and energetic. Workout regularly but don’t push yourself too hard. In few days you will start enjoying and will feel good about it. You can start with few cardio exercises in the beginning and then move onto the tougher ones as days progress.
Sit at one place and close your eyes. Focus on your breathing as you gently inhale and then exhale. Swami Muktananda rightly said that“Your goal is not to battle with mind, but to witness the mind.” Practicing meditation can be tricky for beginners at times, but with time your mind and body will get accustomed to it.
Everyone is going through some tough time in their life. There would be fear and anxiety among the masses for their present and future. As humans we have to realize that these time shall pass. Doing self care of finding time for yourself will improve our mental health to rise against the tough times. Below are mentioned some special tips for getting rise and shine.
Some Self Care Tips to Find Happiness..
- For some time, stop doing those activities that bring negativity in your lives. Some of those activities can be getting off the social media for a while or not doing a task that doesn’t give you happiness.Surround yourself with positive vibes only.
- News can be really overwhelming at times specially now. What you can do is take a break from such news. Maybe switch off news notifications in your phone and television.
- You can reconnect with people whom you lost touch with over the years. Today the world has come really far in terms of technology. You can easily have group video calls, organise virtual movie nights and games nights with them.
- Spend time with your family. Talk to them, play games with them and indulge in group activities with them. It can prove to be rejuvenating for you as well as them.
- While doing work from home, please don’t forget to take breaks. Walk for a while in the house, see a good television show, listen to some podcast or do whatever pleases you.
Always remember this quote by Osho “Sadness gives depth. Happiness gives height. Sadness gives roots. Happiness gives branches. Happiness is like a tree going into the sky, and sadness is like the roots going down into the womb of the earth. Both are needed, and the higher a tree goes, the deeper it goes, simultaneously. In fact, it is always in proportion. That’s its balance.”
One important thing to note here is that you necessarily don’t have to do everything that has been mentioned above. Do what you like and at your own pace which helps you to keep your stress away and takes into you own world. When we are taking care of ourselves then only we can keep others happy as well and most importantly ourselves. More notes on stress can be taken from here
Be safe and Be healthy!
Authors : Nuthan Manohar , Priyanshi Agarwal
Nuthan Manohar , founder of Me Met Me is an International Trainer, Primary researcher, TEDx speaker on well-being with over 15 years of expertise.